Have you ever had an “A-ha” moment? You know, that moment in time where everything stops, becomes crystal clear and seems to illuminate an answer or a way forward. It is in moments like these that the course or direction of our lives seems to shift and take on new meaning or purpose. For many people, A-ha moments are a turning point in their life. My wife had one of those moments – and it changed everything for us.
I mentioned in my first post, that this verse from The Greatest Book of All Time sparked something in my wife, Sarah, at a church service one Sunday morning. Our pastor was teaching and shared this verse: “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” We were talking later that evening about the service and she was telling me about how this verse sparked something in her. She was so excited – as if she’d discovered a hidden treasure. Indeed, she had! We talked about all of the ways that this verse impacts our lives and how it translates to our business and we knew that this would be the foundation for our new work-from-home, part-time business. It would be from this platform, that we would speak into the lives of those who would trust us and follow us forward.
Here are some of the things that we discovered as we dug deeper into this truth:
- There are many ways in which people are not experiencing freedom in their lives: We’re not emotionally free, spiritually free, mentally free, financially free. We feel enslaved to our thoughts and the voices that control our lives. We believe that we “are just always going to be this way” – whatever “this way” means according to those voices in our heads. When this happens, as the verse says, we are “burdened” and unable to operate life at peak levels in our life and business.
- Freedom is available. It is there – ready for us all. We CAN be free! But… we must first identify that we are, indeed, being enslaved or being held captive by something. Only then can we name that area and pursue freedom from it.
- We must “Stand firm”. This means that finding freedom is not a one-and-done event. It is a daily, conscious decision to re-wire our thinking, name our captor, and stand our ground against the various and deceptive ways that have drawn us into slavery in the first place.
Now…I can hear what some of you are thinking: “What’s this got to do with my business?!” I’m glad you asked!
I want you to take inventory of your life right now. Are you truly “FREE” emotionally – how healthy are you from an emotional standpoint? How about physically? Do you feel amazing every, single day and feel like you’re able to ‘take on the world!’ with enthusiasm and joy? What about financially? How enslaved are you to the financial strains of life right now? What about spiritually? Are you free- or are you searching, looking, unsure of what you believe about life and unsure of what direction your life is heading?
Now…here’s why all of this matters to you as a small-business owner or entrepreneur (or just as a human being!): Your life is not segmented – it is whole. If one area of your life is enslaved, it affects the rest of you. Including your business! To truly live life – the life you dream of, deserve, and hope for some day – and to have the business that brings you all that you dream of, you must first recognize those areas where you are being held down, held back, or completely enslaved to. These areas of your life are keeping you and your business from getting where you want to go and are, more than likely, keeping you from attracting others to you. As you find your way to freedom you must, then, learn to identify where you are, stand firm and then resist the deceptive pull and threatening voices that will try to lock you up once more. Freedom is a pursuit. It is a daily battle. But there has to be a day 1. The day where you see it for what it is and say, “No More!”.
So here are a few ways that I practice this in my life and in my business and you can too:
- Identify where you’re being held down. Write down 3-5 reasons why you’re not free. Be honest.
- Ask yourself this question and then write down your answers: What’s at stake in my life if I do not find freedom in these areas? (this is your motivating moment to help you create traction in your life)
- Re-wire your mind. This is where you have been enslaved (your thinking) and where you must defeat it. How? I started by unplugging all apps that were news-oriented, negative, or distracting to me on my phone or computer and then started to find inspirational and positive people to listen to each morning on my walks or on my drive to my office. People such as Darren Hardy, Andy Stanley, Les Brown, Tony Robbins, or Tony Evans are great places to start if you’re not sure.
Finally, as the late, great Jim Rohn says, “For things to change…YOU must change!” Everything changes when you identify the truth about what’s holding you captive and you find freedom in every area of your life. Not only will YOU be free – but you will attract others who are looking for what you have and will serve them and motivate them to do and become the same!
I’d love to hear from you! Comment below and share how this post resonates with you and your life and any tips, suggestions, or ideas for how you pursue freedom and stand firm in your own life.